Simple Energy Savings Tips To Save You Money
12 easy ways to improve efficiency in your home or business
Cernak Fuel has many ways to help you improve your heating and cooling efficiency, and get the most out of every dollar.
While doing so, we are also taking steps to a “greener world”. See the following tips to conserve:
• If your heating system were a car, it would travel approximately 100,000 miles annually, have your furnace or boiler cleaned and tuned up annually. A 10% savings on your annual fuel consumption normally pays for the tune-up itself.
• In cold weather, close your window shades or blinds at night to prevent cold drafts. Open southern and western facing blinds or shades during the day to capture warming sunlight. Hang insulated curtins.
• Clean your furnace filters monthly or replace if necessary, vacuum dust and lint from forced hot water baseboard panels. A clean unit runs more efficiently.
• Install a programmable thermostat to turn your heat down 5 to 6 degrees automatically nights and when you're not at home.
• Look for and seal air leaks around windows, doors and electrical outlets.
• Consider simply closing off rooms you rarely use.
• Update old heating equipment.
• Lower the thermostat on your water heater to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
• Insulate the first 6 feet of hot and COLD water pipes connected to your hot water heater.
• Installing faucet aerators and low-flow shower heads will cut water heating costs by 50% and save up to $300 per year. It will also reduce your water use by up to 50%.
• Repair dripping faucets promptly. A faucet leaking hot water, is costing you money. (One drop a second can waste up to 48 gallons a week!)
• Use "power management" on all computers and turn them off when not in use. A laptop uses up to 90% less energy than a desktop computer.
For more ways to save on all types of energy use, review this document from the US Department of Energy, Click for PDF»